Thursday, November 17, 2005

A Watery Grave

The title sounds a little more dramatic than necessary, but I wanted to use it so there it is. I got my pages in last night, though only the 2,100 mark rather than the higher final goal mark. I actually had more done than I remembered, so when I got done and was only 800 away from hitting 25,000 total, I tried to figure out if I had it in me to push thorough to get there. But, I couldn't. I was tapped out.

I'm still kind of waffly on what I'm doing next in the plot. I'm at the draggy spot. The spot for me where I'm (book length wise) 1/4 of the way there, and things are just supposed to be picking up for the characters as they are on that part of the roller coaster where you here the CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK noise, and you know you're getting up to the summit where you really start rolling through the big hills and get to the loopy thing at the end and then go backwards. But you're at the CLUNK, so it's a little slow, and the anticipation is building, and you feel like you're being pulled backward down the hill.

Now, as a reader and a roller coaster rider, that's a fun part. You know there's something coming, you can feel the gravity trying to work against you and you know that you're going to beat it and zip around in just a minute. But as a writer, I always feel stalled. It's prelim, setup, and mechanics. We've loaded the passengers into the cars, they've strapped in, they're committed now to going on the ride whether they start to scream profanity at the end and wish they hadn't or not. But, important as it is, it's also just a little boring to write.

"As they ascended the hill, it gave them just enough time to think about their grocery list and all the bills that were waiting for them at home... all those things that were why they shouldn't be on this roller coaster. All the things waiting for them at the end. The chain underneath kept turning. Turning. Pulling them towards the top."

Or something.

I think I need to move some scenes up, and I think I know which scenes they are. So that'll help a little. Toss in some villainy or something.

1 comment:

Wendy Roberts said...

Elly, I'm on that roller coaster ride with you! Keep at it :)

Wendy